What is the CAF?


The Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) is designed to support low-income residents of France.

What benefits does the CAF offer?


The Caisse des Allocations Familiales (CAF) is a French government body. It provides financial assistance to people living in France in a number of areas. These include the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement), which helps to reduce housing costs. Most students in France benefit from this scheme.

As a student, you can apply for Aide Personnalisée au Logement.

Translated with (free version)


Please note that family allowances are subject to conditions and can sometimes take several months to be paid.


Can foreign students get APL from CAF?


If you are a foreign student in France, you are entitled to housing assistance from the CAF.  However, there are certain conditions to be met:

    Have a valid residence permit (for non-EU students), for example, a long-stay visa (VLS-TS).
    Be a tenant in an apartment (or house, room in a hall of residence), whether it's an individual rental or a shared apartment.
    Have the rental contract in your name. This means that if you sublet an apartment, you won't be entitled to housing benefit from the CAF.
    Not be related to the owner of your apartment.  
    Stay in France for at least 8 months. This last point is very important! Most rental contracts in France are signed for one year (it is possible to break the contract early). So, in theory, you're entitled to CAF benefits as a foreign student in France. However, if you leave France before 8 months and break your contract, the CAF may ask you to repay the aid you have received.

  • République Française
  • Université de Toulouse
  • CTI
  • Région Occitanie
  • Erasmus plus
  • Label Bienvenue en France
  • Label FCU